Sunday, July 5, 2009

Two Days of Seoul

I have some great pictures and I will post them soon. Right now, I'm still sorting through the bags I've packed finding the essentials and I haven't yet found my converter or camera cords. I'm a light packer, but a messy one as well, and it's likely going to take a bit to finally sort everything out of my two suitcases.

South Korea was a nice stop over. I saw familiar faces (good friends from college and Vienna) and was welcomed into a Korean home, which is such a special treat. Everything was just so EASY, especially after alighting in many an African capital and feeling like getting from point A to point B might take some finagling and a great deal of patience. I was even able to rent a cell phone from the hotel, nearly unheard of for me, and incredibly convenient.

The shopping was fantastic, but I limited myself -- a dress (pictured soon) and an amazing Engrish shirt featuring the great state of New Mexico. It's slogan is something like "Water. Mexico. Company taking --- New Mexico Land of Enchantment."
I was a little disheartened by how incredibly small the sizes are, but at the same time, it's probably only the second time in my life I've been too chesty for any particular clothing item (the first time being in Japan).

And we ate Korean BBQ! Now easily found in larger US cities, it was definitely a bit different from my first time trying it in Chicago. We chased our fried slabs of pork down with soju, rice alcohol, eerily reminiscent of rubbing alcohol and way too strong for me in the middle of the day!

No comments: