Sunday, March 16, 2008

Where Fun Goes to Die

They said winter quarter would be depressing. The combination of cold, dark days, endless amounts of work, and students bundled up to the point of near suffocation would be enough to make even the cheeriest Midwesterner crack. I think they were right, but now the winter has almost cracked, and spring is in the air. Just one more finals period to get through and winter quarter will give way to spring. Eternally hopeful, I can't imagine spring will be anything but uplifting, joyful, beautiful, pure.... As I sit in self-imposed library exile visions of skirts and cute sandals occasionally disrupt my diligent composition of the dispute settlement mechanism in world trade. I'm ready for a break.

I also just spotted a kid in the library wearing a shirt that proudly proclaimed the University of Chicago as a place where "The only thing that will go down on you is your GPA." It's one thing to experience such a state of affairs (poor guy) it's quite another to wear a t-shirt admitting it. Oh, the University of Chicago, where if it were easy.... it would be your mom. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.


UPDATE -- A mere half hour after I wrote the above paragraphs my studies were interrupted by a crowd of students gathered near the library's inner staircase. What could be causing such a commotion at this hour the night before final exams? I thought maybe student counseling was giving massages or free cookies or something. I rose to join the crowd and started to rethink my obituary for fun tonight. The entire track team streaked across the library completely naked as a crowd of tired, stressed out students cheered them on and laughed. It was really hilarious. Oh, University of Chicago, just when I've given you up for dead and lame....

3 comments:

Gustavo Bonato said...

Thanks for not publishing pictures of your "update".

Andrea said...

Yeah, pictures might have been a tad risque. However, young people who run 7 to 10 miles per day are probably the best random sample you could have streaking naked through the library. :)

Sarah said...

I say post the pictures.... in the name of art!