I wish. Graduate school is decidedly un-fabulous. Not to be a complainer, but I had a glamorized vision of what "setting my own schedule" and "working on my own time" would really mean. Right now it means showers are optional and sweatpants are the new black. It seems that certain, ahem, formalities become rather pedestrian in the trade off between the life of the mind and the life of the daily commute.
I miss the daily commute. I miss waking up and getting to work and buying coffee because I could afford to do so and chatting with co-workers who used to drive me crazy. (The company of even the most annoying officemate beats sitting alone at my computer all day.)
But It's not so bad, this whole school thing. It's a genuine luxury to study what I want, when I want, where I wanted to last year. I'm learning all sorts of interesting things that will make me a better employee when I emerge from the shallow waters of intellectual self-indulgence into the sometimes shark-invested deep end.
Only two more finals periods and three more months, and then... Back to the fabulous.
7 comments:
Aww. Remember Kevin? The autistic HRSA scholar? You know you miss him.
Hahahahaha!!!!
Kevin.... remember the burrito incident! Seriously, at least that was more interesting than the WTO's dispute settlement mechanism, the subject of my riveting term paper.
AND I should have said I miss sharing your cubicle :)
and yet, I'm still jealous of your fabulous freedom! My shoulders still hurt from non-stop bouncing all weekend!
Enjoy it!
But I would rather complain on the internet about writing papers than enjoy my freedom. Don't rain on my self-pity parade.
oh yeah? you go ahead and bitch about writing your papers - and just remember that your poor f*cker professors have to grade them .... which is how i'm going to spend my "spring break"...grading other peoples' drivel. at least when you're researching and writing, you're actually learning something. when i'm grading, i'm just getting dumber....
Haha! You're right. I would not want to read most of this crap. :)
Post a Comment