Tuesday, March 25, 2008

JAPAN!

I touched down in Tokyo last Friday. Since then, we've been touring nonstop. My college roommate (conveniently also named Andrea) has been living in Toyama prefecture since we graduated from Augustana in 2006. This is the first time I've visited Asia and the first time I've seen her in two years.

I was the most excited to see Tokyo street fashion. The cosplay, the manga, the school girls and the gothic lolitas dotted Japanese streets, that is, when you could make out who was whom in the throng of the crowd. I hadn't considered what it would be like to be amidst a mass of people this week. Navigating between literally thousands of people in the train stations, the streets, and the shops is really incredible. It can be challenging, but it's just such a different experience from anything I've seen that I really appreciate it.

We've been experiencing some really really great meals, and some meals that were challenging, in an entirely different way from the throng of people in Tokyo. Our biggest mistake on the trip was to eat our first lunch of fried octopus balls from a street vendor. Something Andrea's mom, our third musketeer, thought was incredibly disgusting. Probably a fair assessment. Since then, though, we've been having really great luck, and I've tried some interesting .. .and actually really good things.

After leaving the throbbing mass of Tokyo, we headed to Andrea's prefecture. It's quieter here, but still really beautiful. I loved the small town atmosphere and the kindness and congeniality of her co-workers and friends was amazing.

We've already visited seven cities, seen the third largest Buddha, eaten octopus and sushi for breakfast, and photographed the cherry blossoms at their most beautiful. Tomorrow the trip continues in Kyoto!


I'll post pictures soon!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

You ate octopus balls amid the throbbing mass of Tokyo! That's just nasty....

Sounds like you're having an incredible time :)

Andrea said...

It has been incredible! I bought you and the girls gifts today. Send me special requests if you have them.
xoxo

Circe said...

this is an awesome and hilarious trip! can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

okay, that's weird that it just published as Circe. I'm exposed!!! lol

Andrea said...

BUSTED!