Home to 17 (!) Unesco world heritage sites, Kyoto is my favorite of the Japanese cities I have visited and one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. It is also one of the cities with the least damage from WWII, which means it has the most intact shrines, temples, and historic districts. We are so lucky to also be here while the cherry blossoms are blooming. Not only does this make for beautiful photo ops, it also gives us a chance to eat tons of cherry blossom flavored desserts, drinks, teas, and candies. Really amazing and delicious.
We visiting the temple of a 1001 Buddhas today, which, incidentally, was featured at the Smart Museum of Art this fall. It is waaaay better in person. I really liked the second temple we visited today as well (name soon to be inserted after I have reunited with my guidebook .... for some reason the Japanese names do not stay with me like I wish they would.) The shrine had an entire area devoted to finding a partner, including a path you could follow to ensure you would marry within the year. I was sure to steer clear.
Truth be told, we took it a little easy today in Kyoto, doing some shopping and resting for an hour or so at our super fabulous hotel. Although it hurts my backpacking pride, I really liked resting in the comfort of the Okura for awhile at least.
Everyone we meet continues to be amazingly kind, thoughtful, and considerate. I really think if I lived in this culture it would force me to be more patient. The zen gardens we have visited have been so uniquely carved into the cities, intricately designed, and immaculately cared for; that alone makes me appreciate the more contemplative aspects of this society and the ability people here seem to have in intuiting others thoughts.
I also spotted a rickshaw, a geisha, and ate the squid and egg pancakes I had read about in my guidebooks. Missions completed.
No comments:
Post a Comment