Friday, March 28, 2008

Ichiban!

It is our last morning in Kyoto. After all the beautiful shrines, astounding temples, and breath -taking gardens, Kyoto will be in my heart forever. I really loved this city. We arrived at the Golden Pavillion just before sunset on Thursday. The evening light shone on the gorgeous gold plated front and reflected in the waters to its side and front; it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

I really loved contrasting the European castles and cathedrals with the Nijo Castle and many temples we have seen in Kyoto. Everything is different (design, functionality, decorations) although the two serve many of the same purposes. Nijo castle (unfortunately free of ninjas) was nice departure from the meditative shrine route, offering us the chance to experience the life of the Samurai. I saw my favorite screen printed walls and doors, and we walked across the Nightingale floor, especially formulated so that it squeaked to expose intruders.

Probably the only dud temple of the trip was the Ryoanji, the contemplative home of three large rocks. The rocks to me, were less than impressive although certainly nicely landscaped in freshly raked gravel similar to our driveway at the lake. Visitors were encouraged to stare at the rocks for a period of time until, like shape shifters, they became something else...? Oh well, the experience was quickly redeemed by the Golden Pavilion, as I said, my favorite of all the temples we visited.

Last night, it was Andreas birthday! We celebrated with a traditional Japanese set meal, which was the most beautifully prepared and presented food I have ever ever seen. I have pictures, which I will post, but I do not know if they can fully capture the love and care that went into designing and placing each tiny piece of food within the box. It was really impressive.

Now that we have another 24-year-old, we are leaving Kyoto, our cameras packed with pictures of cherry blossoms, bags weighted down with pretty, traditional souvenirs, and stomachs still perhaps a bit burdened by the copious amounts of raw fish. (very pretty to look at... not so pretty to eat) My experience in Kyoto was fantastic. I would come back in a heartbeat.

1 comment:

Gustavo Bonato said...

Heeey! I wanna go there too!