It's more than just the amazing, well-organized public transportation system, stronger than the universally renowned museums, art, and architecture. It's not just the palpable sense of history in the air, the walking tours of centuries of earth-changing stories, leaders, wars, and events. Berlin is all of these things and the best night-life in Europe. The coolest people, the best fashion and hair cuts, amazing attitudes and a general know-how when it comes to living it up....Eastern (and Western) style.
I want to live in Berlin. Here's why:
1. The History
Okay, maybe this is a little bit nerdy, but I am seriously jazzed about learning the intricacies of the GDR. To be constantly reminded of such a monumental and recent change in the world's political landscape is to be more aware of how quickly today's political landscape might change. I am blown away by the differences of East Berlin, the standing memorial of the wall, and the fascinating stories of life in the German Democratic Republic. The fact that my friends grew up in this period and lived this history is really cool.
2. The Public Transport
I said it numerous times, but it is amazingly true. Berlin (and most likely all of Germany) has a phenomenal, well organized, punctual and structurally sound system of buses, trains, and trams. The fact that I made it from the airport to a friend's house in the East side of the city without a single snafu is a comment, I think, on the manageability of the system in general. Gold stars, Ampelmen!
3. The Beautiful People
Granted, my friends are wonderful. But I also was just generally impressed with the chill, laidback coolness of all Berliners. These are people who know a good party, but in a trendy, hip way... not an American backpackers' wasted tour of Europe style. Think monochromatic clubs, pumping house music, lots of black clad pierced hipsters milling about, but everyone acting friendly and inviting you to partake in their ephemeral coolness, if only for the evening.
4. The Energy
It might have something to do with the recent mobility of the East, perhaps it lends itself to a spontaneity of experience other cities might not have. I can't describe Berlin's atmosphere entirely. But I liked it. A lot.
5. The Suburbs Which Are Actually More Ancient, Beautiful, and Sought After than the City
Potsdam. Amazing. Seriously.
Maybe no list can completely summarize my current love affair with Berlin. This weekend the weather was terrible, the museums were packed, and my time was woefully short. I still loved it. And can't wait to go back, for a lot longer next time.
*Note this blog title is taken from a song on The Photo Album by Death Cab for Cutie. Upon a closer listen, that song is actually about why Ben Gibbard hates Los Angeles. This should not detract from my completely guileless love of Germany's newly reunited capitol.
No comments:
Post a Comment