
You can only imagine how excited I was to spend two days and two nights in Potsdam. The site of the Potsdam Conference between Harry Truman, Winston Churchill, and Joseph Stalin in 1945. This was just another example of Truman's superb statesmanship and diplomatic prowess. While staying at what has now been christened "the Truman house" (Note: there is neither a Churchill nor a Stalin house) Truman brokered an agreement between the allied powers that effectively settled the terms of WWII's end. (He also decided during the conference to use the atomic bomb against Japan, in a less-rosy and more controversial manner than the fawning nature of this post will allow.)
The negotiations took place at Cecilienhof.

In addition to the Tru-mania on display, Potsdam offered gorgeous castles, beautiful bike rides, and the chance for me to catch up with an awesome Augie alum. The burbs is where it's at ... in Berlin.
*Note: As a beneficiary of funding from the Truman Foundation for graduate school, I could be accused of a somewhat vested interest in my love for Harry. However, financial incentive is far too crass a motive to ascribe to the admiration I have for this great man. If you too share an interest in the remarkable life of Harry Truman, let me know. I can hook you up with a sweet Truman newsletter published by my friend Corey.

In addition to the Tru-mania on display, Potsdam offered gorgeous castles, beautiful bike rides, and the chance for me to catch up with an awesome Augie alum. The burbs is where it's at ... in Berlin.
*Note: As a beneficiary of funding from the Truman Foundation for graduate school, I could be accused of a somewhat vested interest in my love for Harry. However, financial incentive is far too crass a motive to ascribe to the admiration I have for this great man. If you too share an interest in the remarkable life of Harry Truman, let me know. I can hook you up with a sweet Truman newsletter published by my friend Corey.
4 comments:
Man, I would kill for some good TJ karaoke right now.
I'm sorry. I requested the REMIX to Ignition. I don't know that one.
HAHA!!!
::calmly replaces mic in holder and takes seat::
I'm really surprised no one's interested in the newsletter.
Post a Comment