Friday, August 17, 2007

Transylvania!

I could have titled this post "Brasov" after the city where I am currently lodging, but Transylvania just conjures up so many fanciful images in my mind, I can't resist using the word as often as possible. (Example: My boss: "What are you doing this weekend?" Me: "TRANSYLVANIA!!!") I get pretty excited about trips to Eastern European post-communist, and in this case, post-evil dictatorial, states.

After public transit-laden journey that included three subways, two buses, a train, and an airplane, I arrived in this tiny, beautiful village at the foot of the Carpathians. (Seems like a tiny village, actually has a population of 240,000. Last night I climbed Mt. Tampas and watched the sun set over this little corner of Transylvania. Today, I am going to see where Dracula was born!!



































My hostel is the Kismet Dao, or way of the fate. Maybe it is my fate to be in Romania this weekend, rather than a completely random decision born of super discounted airfare and a travel addiction. The hostel is subtitled "Elvis' hang out." Elvis is not, however, in the building as far as I can see.

I think it would be interesting to provide an exegesis on the special species that is backpacker and their natural habitat, the hostel, but I don't think I have spent enough time really backpacking to do it yet. It is certainly a whole different world, and I think a really good experience to practice the laid back, low maintenance, friendly countenance these folks share.

2 comments:

Louis said...

hey!

I really dug romania also, I was in the kismet hostel in brasov and its pretty cool, kind of hidden away at the other end of town.

I met these crazy british students who were doing kind of volunter work constructing a school, theres a story here

http://www.eurotrip2006.com/euro/index.php?id=260

and heres my photos of Romania, none of the hostel but some of Dracs castle :)

keep having fun, its cool to read your stories!

Louis
http://www.zezeran.com

Andrea said...

Thanks for the pics! I liked the Kismet Dao. It's off the beaten path for sure, but the management was really cool. Thanks for the link!