From Brasov this morning, I traveled by train to Sighisoara (pronounced Seeg-a-shoara, as many helpful Romanians pointed out to me.) This Unesco World Heritage site is also the birthplace of DRACULA!
Maintaining a beautifully intact Medieval city center and claiming the heritage of the fictional villain of Bram Stoker's classic novel is a heavy mantle to carry, but Sighasoara manages both.
Some interesting things I learned about vampires include:
1. Sighisoara is actually the birthplace of Vlad Tepes, affectionately known as "Vlad the Impaler" for his preferred method of torture/murder of his political enemies. This was obviously before the universal declaration of human rights took effect.
2. Vlad's house is now a pretty cool restaurant where the number one dish is tomato soup.
3. For lunch I had a langush, which, incidentally, is basically frybread coated with garlic. I unwittingly ate garlic while visiting the birthplace of Dracula. The irony will not stop.
4. Vlad was famous for impaling people. Dracula can only be killed by impalement. Coincidence?
5. I have a copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula with me, and I am reading it on the trains in between cities in Transylvania. I find this slightly embarrassing, sort of akin to wearing the t-shirt of the band you're watching perform. I tend to hide the book's title whenever I see people I suspect know English. This, however, is not so often. Romania is the most "foreign" country I have visited, which has been more challenging and more interesting than I expected.
1 comment:
Hey you!
Ok, I'm not a Romanian specialist, but I know a few things. I've been there for only two days and a half (and that's not a lot), but I know very well a very special Romanian girl.
Therefore, I heard a couple of things about Dracula. And I don't really think people in the rest of the country is excited about the stereotypes related to him...
Anyway... If Romania if the most "foreign" country you've been you should definitely come to Brazil!!!!
Post a Comment