Word to the wise: when visiting Romania, I would plan to spend the bulk of your time in Transylvania, or the Northwest Carpathian region. Quite frankly, the capitol city disappoints. It's definitely interesting to see the place of so much recent history, but the disarray and poorly kept streets are a little too reminiscent of home sweet reservation home. It's not exactly a tourist destination yet, I think, but there's definitely potential.
I visited the Parliament building first, which is remarkable as much for what's missing as for what's there. To build what is now the second largest office building in the world, Nicolae Ceauşescu, the afore-mentioned evil communist dicator, destroyed much of the medieval center. In its place stands a stark, deserted, poorly landscaped behemoth. I guess I can understand the reluctance to beautify the area considering its history.
I also walked through revolution square, including the steps of the capitol building where Ceauşescu gave his last speech. I left Bucharest for Vienna in the evening after eating a traditional Romanian meal of pork ribs and cabbage. Also, I drank the best beer of the summer in Romania.
The airport was the most harrowing part of my entire trip. I finally found international departures after what seemed like a deliberate ploy to confuse tourists, and I found a check in line that was miles long. I had arrived early, and wasn't worried, until approximately 50 older-Austrians started cutting in line in front of me! I was completely shocked! I started tapping people saying "What are you doing? There's a line here!!" People pretended like they didn't understand me. As if the concept of a line isn't universal. Luckily a nice Austrian guy let me cut in front of him, I think, because he was worried I was going to start a brawl with several elderly men. "You should see them at the ski lopes" he said, "It is unreal, the amount of pushing and shoving..." Wow, my first glimpse at anything Austrian that wasn't completely placid and polite!
No comments:
Post a Comment