Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Cambodia Travels



The past few weekends I've stayed and traveled in Cambodia. First to Kep and Kampot, then on to Siem Reap. I caught the Water Festival in Phnom Penh, and now I'm in Sihanoukville. Cambodia, outside of Phnom Penh, is incredibly varied. From gorgeous beaches on the Gulf of Thailand to one of the ancient wonders of the world, I've seen a lot in just a few weeks, including a lunar festival marking the change in the Tonle Sap's flow -- the only river in the world to change directions once a year. My modes of transport have varied too -- from shared taxi and rickety boat out on to Rabbit Island, airplanes and tuk tuks to Siem Reap, and my own personal driver to Sihanoukville (ha!). It took me probably far too long to start touring around Cambodia, but I've really liked what I've seen.

Read a clever article in the NYtimes about Cambodia's coast here: I'm staying at the same hotel where Jacquelyn Kennedy Onassis stayed on her holiday through Cambodia a few decades ago.

No comments: