Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bali

I have some stories to tell about Bali. It's amazing how quickly these experiences pass and before I've written anything I've already been to another crazy location or had another experience maybe worth blogging about. I'm really lucky to be seeing and doing as much as I have been. Bali, however, should be enjoyed over the course of a week or two, not squeezed into 36 hours. If I were to do it again I would stay longer and I would stay on the beach.

We stayed in Ubud, home of author Elizabeth Gilbert, while she was writing the Love section of Eat, Pray, Love. Julia Roberts was in town at the same time, frequenting the Monkey Forest, and getting into the character of Elizabeth in the film version of the book. We didn't see her. We did, however, visit Ketut Liyer, the Balinese traditional medicine man Elizabeth credits for helping her get back on her feet after her tumultuous divorce and find love again. After having my fortune read, I can safely say all signs point to a long, happy, wealthy life. My good friend and traveling companion received the same exact fortune, which could possibly make a suspicious person question the validity of the wonderful prophecy we paid $10 each for. I don't question.

Yes, he is wearing a soccer t-shirt. Yes, I am wearing a strappy sun dress (not realizing the religious nature of the fortune teller event. . . )

We may have only come away with a good story and some good karma from our time with Ketut, as opposed to lottery numbers or stock picks. The group before us, however, were all Balinese women in traditional dress, visiting the Medicine Man for wisdom or advice.

More pictures of the beach:

No comments: