Monday, August 4, 2008

Konya'ya Gittik


Last weekend we traveled to Konya, the home of the Sufi mystic Rumi, and the summer capital for the Seljuks. I can understand why even fierce Seljuk warriors had to evacuate their capital city, Alanya, in the summer. It is hot as hell here. I'm not complaining, seriously, as that would make me a total whiner after a spring spent defying 60 degree temps in sundresses and goosebumps. I prefer the heat to cold any day, but Konya's cool breezes were a refreshing change.

While in the more conservative city to the north, we watched a whirling dervish performance. It was absolutely stunning. The male dancers performed a slow, literal whirl to the steady rhythms of traditional instruments. Although it was rather like watching meditation, I was really enthralled. I didn't take photographs, sadly, thinking it would be somehow improper to photograph a religious ceremony. This sense of decorum did not spread to my neighbors, who were talking on their phones! Weird.

In Konya, we visiting Rumi's tomb, a Muslim pilgrimage site especially important for followers of Sufiism. The mausoleum was quite crowded, but it was one of the most beautiful structures and gardens I've seen in Turkey. It was a wonderful trip, and I enjoyed getting away for the weekend. To cap it off, we enjoyed Konya's specialty: baked lamb, at a restaurant Food Magazine ranked one of the best in the entire world. It was exceptionally good, especially the baklava-esque desserts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I love reading your blog, and keeping up on your travels. Our friends ask about you and I just refer them to twentysteady.
Work is going good (two days on the job). Looking forward to seeing you back in the USA. Glad you're having fun. DAD