Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dun Perge'ye ve Termessos'a Gezdik



Yesterday, we visited Perge and Termessos.


It was a full day of visiting two Ancient cities, ruled at various points throughout history by the Greek and Roman empires. I know very little about archeology, but I'm learning more on this trip, and discovering it to be fascinating. I'm really interested in how archaeologists reconstruct a city from the fragments of stones left behind. Yesterday, we could contrast Termessos, a mostly un-reconstructed site, with Perge, fully excavated and reconstituted as close as possible to match what it would have been. The differences between the two were, of course, striking, but I can't say for sure which I preferred. The wild, untouched beauty of Termessos, a mountain town inhabited by a people so wild they could not be conquered even by Alexander the Great, or Perge, a more pristine site, that gave me much better insight into the city planning and design of ancient empires.

We are really lucky to have an extremely well-organized and structured itinerary for this summer. I haven't been this well taken care of since I left my parents' home! It's really fortunate. Also, I wrote an essay about my trips to Perge and Termessos completely in Turkish. As my instructor was along for the trip, she probably won't be particularly shocked by its contents, but hopefully this will fill in any grammatic gaps I leave. (ahem...) It's probably not perfect, but I'm glad I'm able to write coherent texts at this point. Conversation is more difficult, but as we transition into using our Turkish more and more, it's getting better too.


I think this picture is funny.

No comments: