Yesterday, we visited a traditional yayla, swam in the cool mountain rivers, frolicked in a waterfall, and ate a picnic in the shade of a gazebo. Traditionally, Turkish families would migrate to the mountains during the summer escaping the heat and humidity of the coastal plain. These summer homes were yaylas, and sometimes entire communities migrated together, recreating villages in their new, cooler locales. Our journey into the Taurus Mountains was somewhat treacherous. We drove for hours up a winding mountain path with no side rails and steep, steep fifty-feet drops down the cliff face. I wasn't scared or car sick, which I think is quite admirable after my poor showing on the boat tour.
(Above: The view from my bus window -- steep drop off the cliff face.)
I have to give a special shout-out to my Keene sandals. They are, quite frankly, amazing. I was a bit skeptical in the beginning, and for good reason. Unlike most of my footwear they are not plastic, cloth, or hot pink. They actually protect my feet from all elements, they're water proof and they came highly recommended from many of my mother's friends. Those women knew what they were talking about. I can wear them across scorching sand, climb up the faces of spontaneous flame- erupting mountains (read: Olympos) and even swim in them! I feel welcomed to the world of practical foot wear. I might want to live here.
No comments:
Post a Comment