et
While it may at first glance appear to be an Eastern incantation of Cancun on the Turkish Mediterranean shore, Alanya hides a charming, inner old city, which we toured last night. Don't get me wrong, I love Alanya in part for its unrelenting beach-town vibe. I've landed a summer in a hot (literally) beach front getaway, and I feel quite fortunate for it. However, visiting the historic section of the city, which we actually live right on top of, was a treat, mostly due to the commentary from our program director, a trained historical geographer.
We also had the chance to stop for coffee at a restored Ottoman home, complete with carpets, rugs, and all-cedar furnishings. The Mcghee Center, where our classes are held each day, was one of the first structures in Alanya's old city to be renovated with the help of historians to match the original intentions of its Ottoman designers.
No comments:
Post a Comment