In the beginning, I posted that I had over-packed, and it was true. My problem stemmed from the fact that I was moving from Washington, DC, and had a year's worth of accumulated stuff to disperse. Anything that didn't get shipped to my parent's house was strapped on my back for transatlantic travel.
It was a struggle, what with all the books, clothes, odd kitchen supplies and food. (Yes, I really did pack dried goods, including instant rice and a can opener. In retrospect, that's one of the strangest decisions I made this spring. I hesitated at the time too, asking Catherine: "Is it weird to pack this baggie of Parmesan cheese, a stir fry mix kit, and a plastic bowl?" Her response: "No! But the half- eaten bag of stale pretzels is definitely weird." The pretzels didn't make the cut.)
Now on my third month and fourth move, buffeted with multiple weekend trips and my departure imminent, I feel much less weighted down. Apparently, my clothing stock is diminishing with every transition. It wouldn't be the first time. I am notorious for throwing out my wardrobe and unnecessary objects every time I move. My parents point out the "wastefulness" of such decisions, but honestly, why schlep around ill-fitting clothing I hardly ever wear and/or ornamental objects I rarely even notice?
And so, I have condensed my necessities to just my books, three party dresses, sensible work shoes, and my bikini. Everything else is superfluous. (And if I actually were able to abide by this, and didn't carry around a billion articles of clothing, some of which I bought in high school and probably only wear because it still fits, moving in and out of my third floor apartment would be so much easier!)
I'm back in the old apartment. Home, sweet home, for the next couple of weeks. I think my roommates really missed me. I mean, they didn't say so or anything, but the apartment definitely suffered from a lack of girl-clutter (make-up, curling iron, actual shampoo as opposed to dish soap) and they welcomed my arrival with a switch to classical background music from the ever-present techno beats.
Housesitting was great, but I am allergic to cats, so not an ideal living situation for me or my nasal passages. The cat loved nothing better than to wile away the hours sleeping in my bed or on my pillow so there was no escaping his fur or odor. I have a suspicion he somehow infected the drier as well, as all of my otherwise clean laundry smells of cat. Better to be without the burdens of cat care, in keeping with my streamlined lifestyle right now.
3 comments:
HAHAHA! This entry is fantastic, and in addition to the pretzel incident mentioned, I can provide first-hand testimony to vouch for your purging tendencies: As I type, I am wearing your red linen skirt! And your red comforter is safely stowed at my apartment... and I use your blush brush every day....
Fantastic! How gross is this.. I ate the Parmesan cheese last night! I probably bought it last February and it has traveled with me in a plastic bag since then! Ha!
Also, I am using your backpack today and wearing our matching beaded necklace!
"Live simply so others may simply live..."
Hard to live by though. But when traveling less is so much better...
See you soon. MOM
Post a Comment