I am in love with said Klosterman, which makes the sad fact of my near miss with his literary genius all the more painful. This is no new obsession for me. I grew up reading Chuck every Thursday in the Fargo Forum. He grew up a mere thirty miles from me in Wyndmere, North Dakota. My dad bought a pickup from his Uncle once. We are soul mates.
In all seriousness, I think he is a terrific writer and better than most at pinpointing the nexus between popular culture and postmodern debate. I looked forward to his columns with a near-rabid intensity as an adolescent; his was a lone voice of ironic commentary on music, movies, and the cultural happenings in Fargo. Now he's garnering reviews from the NY Times, and while they appear not to love him quite the way I do, I think a lot of the criticism stems from the type of writing he's engaged in, rather than the writing itself. I mean, people criticize pop criticism. That's nothing new.
The New York Times also decried Klosterman's very prescient observation that our culture is in the midst of a pirate renaissance. I have been quoted in the Washington Post to this very effect. I am on his side (and this is just more evidence we're meant to unite our prophetic pop culture sensibilities for the good of hipsters everywhere.)

I am sure that some day fate will lead us to each other. Until then, I'll just have to keep reading his books, listening to GnR, eating Cocoa Puffs, and waiting for my Postmodern Prince. Sigh....
(He's wearing Gap in this picture to be ironic. I read about it online.)
2 comments:
Ha ha ha, I had no idea that your love of Chuck had reached such a heightened level... You were, like, 10 years old, racing for the paper to snag the Klosterman essay... who would have thought he'd end up your postmodern prince! ;)
YES! I have you contacting me via email and my blog! Welcome to the omni-techno facets of my life. I am really glad we are in better touch.
PS I think Chuck would probably really really hate the phrase "post modern prince." Hopefully, he'll let me explain when he replies on this blog.
Post a Comment