I have come to the conclusion that I'm home alone. Don't get me wrong, I am not completely out of touch with my surroundings, but I'm living with people I really don't know, so I wasn't sure for awhile whether Emu and my other roommate (I think his name is Marc? Marcus?) were just keeping odd hours or on holiday. I've confirmed after no trace of them since last week sometime, it's definitely a holiday. Which is great, really, I currently have the entire apartment to myself, and I have been spending more time there, cooking a little bit, and reading a lot.
My only problem, it seems, has been a protracted battle of balance while on my bicycle, which has left me with some battle bruises and a sore ego. Yesterday I made friends with the man who runs a bicycle repair shop across the street from my apartment. I think we may be seeing a lot of each other. He straightened everything out with my bike (my handlebars were a little crooked and my seat too high) and I invested in a bicycle helmet. I know, it's a little crazy that I am just now wearing a helmet, but you have to understand, no one wears a helmet here. It's seriously uncool. When surrounded by people who have no qualms with fanny packs, mullets, and black socks with sandals, I didn't want to distinguish myself as even less fashionably attired than my new neighbors.
But the time for caring more about appearances than safety is over. I am now sporting a helmet and thinking seriously about maybe wearing some knee and elbow pads. Why not go all out, now that I've donned one safety accessory? I think that would actually be really funny, especially if paired with a new summer dress and some strappy sandals.
No comments:
Post a Comment