Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The City Outdoors


I was running in the Augarten Sunday night upon my return from Slovakia, and I knew exactly why I need to always live in a city again. First off, I only had to step outside my tiny apartment onto the city street to instantly be surrounded by people. Well, maybe not surrounded, but at least in contact with many. It's not that I need to always be with others, I just always need the potential to be around and surrounded by others. What does this make me, an introvert drawn to the experience of the extrovert? Maybe. I just love the idea that I can live in a city, even where I don't speak the language, and always continue to meet new people, while remaining anonymous if need be. (Sorry Mom and Dad, I think this means I am officially never moving back to Veblen, although I'm very excited about my upcoming vacation there in August!)

Back to the Augarten... so I was making laps around the pretty part of the park, when my path was somewhat obstructed by a huge outdoor screen. I stopped running to watch a free viewing of the Hitchcock film, Notorious, in a beautiful park, on a random Sunday night. That is what I love about cities, constant entertainment in all forms: music, theater, dance.

Vienna especially loves and supports the arts. As a part of the free open air film festival, they are showing films of symphonies and ballets every night for July and August. I am going with a friend tonight to Cinderella, the ballet. It's really great to have so many options for free cultural entertainment. (Especially before graduate school in the fall where fun is rumored to be on death row.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, I guess you haven't heard that Veblen has a new ba called the "Bull Pen", or El Corral Del Toro. Do they have that in Slovakia? Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrea! I've been following your stories closely. Just added a link to your blog in my page. Cheers!