Monday, June 11, 2007

UN Mission to Prague


I had the good fortune last week to meet a friend of a friend, someone in the same public service program, interning for the summer at the UN here in Vienna. Long story short, she is absolutely wonderful! When I found out she and her coworkers in the anti-terrorism unit were planning a secret fact-finding mission to Eastern Europe´s party central, I knew my IR education this summer would not be complete unless I joined them.

Nearly foiled by a tram foul up while searching for the elusive Boathouse Hostel, our group perserved, walking through the night but eventually arriving at our destination. The Boathouse had a warm, family-centric atmosphere. It posts years of correspondence on its walls and people seem to really keep in touch with the owners... (We love you! We ended up getting married after meeting at the Boathouse!) I wouldn´t say our experience was so trancendent, but for a two-day stay in Prague, the hostel was perfect.

Saturday was our day to explore and enjoy the city. After an early breakfast of (what else?) yogurt and cereal thanks to our hostel moms, we departed for the center of Prague and a slew of cultural and historical delights. Known as Europe´s "Golden City" Prague was irrestibly charming. It has one of the most intact Old Towns in Europe thanks to less-than-average destruction during WWII. We were sort of in tourist-central, but I guess it´s unavoidable.

My favorite part of the trip was the awesome group I traveled with! Menaka, my friend from the U.S., and her co-workers Fabi, Guilio, Sung gil, and Sanja, and friend Sarah, were the best companions on my first trip to Eastern Europe I can imagine. The conviviality was infectious, and made for some great pictures!

2 comments:

Sung-gil Lee said...

Hello, Andrea
It's Sunggil. It was so nice to meet you and travel together.

Unknown said...

Um, you used the word conviviality on a blog.