
The State Opera (Staatsoper)
Menaka, Rouba, and I visited the State Opera last night. We watched a ballet production of Romeo and Juliet. I realized after that I hadn't read the play since I was 15! I maybe could have used a refresher, but the story definitely comes back to you.
The production was, or course, fabulous, but our 7 euro tickets did not afford us the best view. We made do with a combination of standing and leaning over the banister. I liked the music even better than the dancing, so my vantage point was perfect.
The city of Vienna makes culture and the arts totally affordable and accessible. I love that on a Thursday night, an opera house is completely packed and with standing tickets available for only 2 or 3 euro, everyone can afford it. I think I'll have to go back for an opera production before I leave.
After the show, I tried Vienna's most famous dessert, the Sachertorte. Apparently, its creators were locked in a seven year battle to win copyrights to its recipe. I am not a total convert, but I may not have had a famous "Viennese" version. I just grabbed a piece at the only open restaurant on my way home! (It's special because there's a layer of apricot jam underneath the top layer of chocolate.)
No comments:
Post a Comment