Thursday, May 31, 2007

Not Just Your Friendly Butler Anymore



The name sounded so familiar, comforting almost, like a destination I had visited or a friend I knew. The Belvedere Museum evoked a sense of home to me, and after I visited, I remembered why. I was reminded of one of my favorite childhood television shows, Mr. Belvedere.


Ranking on par with Geoffrey of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Mr. Belvedere was the go-to man for wry humor, wise advise, and English sensibilities hilariously juxtaposed against 1980s family hijinks. The Austrians have named a museum in his honor.


I visited the Belvedere today to see the Klimt room. I was lucky enough to see some of Klimt´s work while it was on loan to the LA County Museum of Art last June. I have been really looking forward to seeing more of his work in Vienna. The Kiss was situated on the top floor of the Upper Palace. My favorite of his was Judith, copied below.
The nuns have been so wonderful to me! I accidently blew a fuse in my room trying to dry my hair, which is embarrassing on so many levels. They were really nice about it though! Today was the first warm day, but I fear it will be cooler in Amsterdam. My flight to Amsterdam leaves this evening. I´ll be listening to Peter, Bjorn, and John and Guster all the way. (Both of these bands have songs called Amsterdam, and I really will listen to both on the plane, probably while rocking out a little bit in my seat.)

No comments: