I can´t pronouce its name, but I have fallen for the home to some of Vienna´s finest specimens of art history. Just the building was so beautiful my heart started beating faster at the sight of the marbeled columns, ornate ceilings, and roccoco touches everywhere. Even the marble floor was guidebook worthy (or so thought my primary guide today, Top 10 Vienna. Great recommendation, Ken!) I actually hit the museum with two guidebooks in tow, and carried them both, open to specific articles about the museum. People who have traveled with me will not be surprised by this. Other patrons at the Kuns museum, possibily found it a bit odd.
When I did look up from my text(s), however, I witnessed some truly breathtaking works of art. From a full section of Egyptian artifacts on the ground level to the main stage -- a full floor of Italian Renaissance and Northern European art teasures, it was amazing. I lingered over the full descriptions, many of which were in English, and took a break for strudel and espresso. I called my mom with my international cell from the cafe. My message was basically "I´m in Vienna in a beautiful art museum, eating pastry and drinking coffee! What are you up to?" So fabulously touristy and obnoxious! But worth it, because it was true. I have some pics of today that I´ll post. I tried the Catherine method of self photography several times, but it seriously feels weird to take a picture of yourself when it´s just you in the frame. In fact, it might feel weird because it is weird, but I won´t let that stop me from capturing my timeless memories on my memory card. Thanks Jon and Eddie!
Okay, enough shout outs.... I also have decided the nuns at my new home are the nicest women alive. It´s just such a stark contrast from the women (mean old hags) that ran Home St. Pierre, the hostel in which I lived in Geneva. They are only charging me $350 per month for lodging and almost all of my meals. Today we maneuvered around the language barrier enough for one sister to ask me how I heard of Heim St. Genoveive. She made it seem as though this wasn´t a popular destination for summer interns. In fact, I might be the only summer intern. Most of the other women live here full time. My roommate, Vicky, has lived here for three years. She´s studying to be a nurse. Last night, in the midst of her studies, she started reading aloud to me. She practiced her English, and I heard a fun story. My entertainment options have really changed.
But not for long! I still need to explore Vienna´s nightlife. Tomorrow I leave for Amsterdam (speaking of nightlife... ) My brother and a new country await.
2 comments:
Hey Andrea! I'll keep one eye here! Keep posting, then!
Cheers!
Gustavo
(www.gustavobonato.com/english)
Great writing Andrea. I can enjoy Europe from the Claire City Elevator! Who knew travel could be so easy! I think the convent is a great living arrangement!! Be safe. LOVE MOM
Post a Comment