Friday, May 14, 2010
Kampala, Uganda
It feels like I've been in Africa for a long time. In reality, my trip began May 1, which was only two weeks ago. Today was a relatively short day (8-6) and tomorrow is light too, since it's a Saturday. I think Uganda is fascinating, and I wish I had more time here. I won't go to the conflict-ridden North, but that's where many of the donor projects are based, for good reason. For the information we're seeking on this trip, today's meeting offered some good leads. It seems school records might be kept, and might even be disaggregated by orphan status. (What shape the records are in is anyone's guess.) Tomorrow's trip to the South will give us more insight. I had an amazing Indian meal tonight. During Idi Amin's reign (of terror) all of the Asian community was expelled from Uganda, only recently have they begun to re-enter and take up their former properties and businesses. Uganda has also experienced quick economic growth in its post-conflict era, but this has not yet been coupled with democratic reforms.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm so glad you're updating again, this is so interesting!
Post a Comment