Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Water VIllage




I signed up for a photography course this weekend. In one day, I learned to use all (well, okay most) of my digital camera's functions, and put theory into practice in a small village outside of Phnom Penh, Kampong Chhang. It's the rainy season here, and everyday for an hour or more the heavens open up (tired metaphor, but apt). It rains, it pours, everything floods because there's no drainage system, and life continues on uninterrupted. Motos push through the flood waters, their drenched, huddled drivers looking miserable, but no closer to donning protective rain gear (surprisingly almost as rare as helmets, where both are pretty necessary.)

In the rainy season, Kampong Chhang becomes a water city. It's stilt-balanced houses maintain themselves against the rushing waters beneath, and people conduct their daily lives in the water. Commuting to the market, to the temple, to each other, via boat. My photos are from a moving boat of moving targets: boats and people. Some are blurred, some are off-focus, but strangely that's almost even more accurate. I lost my balance a little bit too.


3 comments:

Audrey said...

You're photos (and commentary) are fantastic - you are becoming quite the professional :)

Andrea said...

Sadly, one of my main takeaways from the class was the need for a better camera! I'm ready for a manual, I think. More expensive, but also better quality.

Sarah said...

All of the pics are wonderful! But yes, a better camera makes all the difference :)