Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Laos


I'm tempted to write overly fluid prose about how beautiful and calm and civilized everything felt to me. I want to tell the story of how adventure tours in developing countries can leave you pedaling on a bike without gears and capsized in the Mekong, but barely bothered because the views are so perfect, the waterfalls so inviting, and lunch was held at an elephant sanctuary. I've never been afraid to fly, but when our propeller plane lifted up over the mountains and was enveloped in the perfect white clouds, I was terrified, again, and barely comforted by the stillness between ascent and landing. This was my departure, leaving the calm in Laos, my hands gripping the seats beside me, enjoying the last views of a mountain top paradise before forging straight back to frenetic everyday.

It's like a different world, a sanctuary of sorts, where yes, things are getting touristy (my own, a case in point). But the city has retained its otherworldly charm, traditions, and slow, easy pace against the backdrop of camera-touting travelers who want to experience for a weekend what for others is a lifetime.

2 comments:

Clayton said...

Ohmmmmmmm I'm feeling peace and inter calm just by reading your blog at work. thanks for the vicarious visit. Love dad

Pedro Garcia Millan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.