Friday, September 18, 2009

Good Morning Monks

Luang Prabang, in the north of Laos, is a Unesco World Heritage Village and considered to be one of the best preserved cities in the SE Asia region. It's beautiful. The temples are gleaming and ubiqutious. I think they're the main attraction besides the boat cruise and nearby waterfalls (soon to be experienced.) This morning I woke before dawn (everyone likes to do that on vacation) to watch the Monks' procession. Daily, Monks of all ages clad in their fluorescent orange robes receive alms from believers, who receive good karma in exchange. Instructed to give alms "if it is meaningful for you," by numerous tourist pamphlets, I did, but I'm afraid I may have negated my good karma by taking photographs as well. I have a few to post but won't be able to until my return to Phnom Penh.

With its chilled out welcome, Luang Prabang is a really welcome reprieve from my (albeitedly fairly chilled out but also work heavy) life in Phnom Penh. Beyond a daily massage, the aforementioned boat cruise and some food and photos, I'm just here to enjoy, take a deep breath, and relax.

No comments: