Cambodia's HIV epidemic is concentrated in high-risk groups: sex workers, men who have sex with men, and injected drug users, although that population is very small here. (It's quite large in Vietnam, another legacy of the American presence during the Vietnam war.)
I won't get in to all of the details here, but we're trying to program in a way that meets the needs of people whom we identify as members of these high risks groups. That means, on Friday, I spent the afternoon at an MSM transgender drag show. Talk about cultural insights and discovery. My favorite parts were the interpretative dance involving men representing STIs and a solo dance within a giant condom. I also really enjoyed the fashion show, which included some amazing Mariah Carey lipsinging.
The event was sponsored by the OK Condom (advert pictured above.) The OK (now packaged with lube!) is a product of Population Services International, a fantastic development group whose motto "Results not Process" could stand to be replicated in other systems I'm familiar with... PSI uses social marketing for public health interventions, using witty ad campaigns and current technology to encourage condom use, hand washing, partner reduction, etc... But in a way that tries to make these rather stodgy and dry topics hip and relevant.
2 comments:
Your work is absolutely inspiring :)
... But to be clear... did you dance solo with a giant condom? Cause I want to see the pictures of that! :)
No, I wasn't dancing. One beautiful Khami guy danced in his skivvies in the condom surrounded by five (equally beautiful) dudes dressed as sti's. The sti's tried to get to the happy, dancing condom-protected man, but they couldn't do it! I wish I had some pictures of the event!
Post a Comment