Sunday, April 19, 2009

On Safari

It was incredible. If anyone reading this has ever considered or thinks they might possibly be interested in an African safari. Go. go. go...

Between the perfect fluffy white clouds, the cerulean blue sky, and the elephants, zebras, giraffes and more on full display, Mara was like heaven for African safari animals and the people who love them. My camera does it no justice. I spent two nights on the Masai Mara, Kenya's natural game reserve that continues on from Tanzania's Serengeti, and around 20 hours on the reserve, driving indestructible land rovers and spotting the animals. They took very little notice of us. Apparently, trucks full of humans taking pictures no longer interes the giant predators and prey on display in the Mara. It was like being on the show Planet Earth, for two full days. At night, we slept in tents, (luxury tents, but still...) In the morning our game guides would wake us with coffee or hot cocoa before we hit the trail at 6:30. The best time to see the game is early in the morning. We saw four of the "big five": Lion, elephant, rhino, cape buffalo, but not the elusive leopard. The rest of my safari party was going on a night drive tonight to spot the leopard, but I'm back in Nairobi.

My internet connection is not quite strong enough to support photo uploading, but the pictures are great. I'll post next week.

9 comments:

Gustavo Bonato said...

I am terribly jealous!!! Please post pictures!

Anonymous said...

Very cool. No fear? I guess your guides are seasoned and know where and what to do. Good for you!
Love, Cousin Stephanie

Dad said...

Andrea, Sounds wonderful, I would love to do it. It Reminds me of your Mother's favorite movie,"Out of Africa". Good for you,Love DAd.

Sarah said...

You are so right... when the girls are 10 and 12 we'll take them! Pictures as soon as you get home!!!

Anonymous said...

I WANNA GO TOO............!!!!STAY SAFE! LOVE, AUNT CAROL

Anonymous said...

Hey... if every African safari involved a sexy young Robert Redford, a la "Out of Africa" ... then you can definitely count me in!(and probably Bonnie, too) :)

Diane

Andrea said...

Actually, Robert Redford and Meryl Streep stayed at the same lodge I did this past weekend, when they filmed Out of Africa. The ending plane scene was filmed right in front of my tent. It's called the Kitchwa Temba.

Grandma Bobbie said...

Andrea, I have always wanted to go on a safari. The only thing I would take shots with would be a camera. I know I would enjoy it as
much as you. Two of my friends are on one now.
grandma Bobbie

Anonymous said...

YEAAA you go, girl. So pumped to hear and see all about this. :)

Cat