Monday, July 7, 2008

Antalya

Antalya, Alanya's older sister to the west, is a larger city, but it's certainly not more vibrant, nor is it a better coastal paradise than Alanya. We visited on Saturday. I loved the Antalya Museum's Roman ruins. Our walk through the city center was lovely, but hot, and lunch of Turkish pide was (of course) delicious. (Lezzet!) Pide is a lot like pizza, only without the sauce.

The rest of the weekend was spent on the beach, eating ice cream, and studying Turkish. I am in love with this place. I spend a lot of time studying, to be sure, but I have never lived in a foreign country in which I could speak the language, and I love the way these words and phrases are opening up this new place for me.

Today, for the first time, we were not allowed to speak English at lunch. It was actually quite fun to put my limited Turkish vocab to the test. I learned all about my neighbors' families. (Those are the questions I've learned so far. Do you have sisters? Are you grandparent's alive? etc...)
When the conversation switched to my own family and pets, they were sad to discover I have one dog (kopek) but no cats, because she eats all the kediler!

Our use of English is growing less and less, as we transition into the immersion portion of this program. I hope I can get all of these new words and noun cases trapped in my brain before we delve into full-scale Turkish completely!

2 comments:

maria said...

i love pide! what did you think of the ice cream?? the stuff i got had the consistency of taffy with half the flavor, but the ice cream man was stylin'.

Andrea said...

I haven't had the traditional taffy-like Turkish ice cream yet, but I'm planning to soon! I have seen it, however, and it reminds me of Gak, from my middle school days!