Sunday, June 22, 2008

First Days

What can I say? It's great. Really, really great. Exactly what I was hoping for this summer: tons of beach time, lots of nice people, and excellent food. Luckily our apartment is at the top of a very steep hill, thus combating the effects of endless amounts of grape leaves, cheeses, eggs, fresh tomatoes, and bread.

School is about a fifteen minute walk away. Our classes are held in a restored Ottoman villa, the McGhee Center. It comes equipped with a personal chef, just for us. We finish class every day by three, which means we can do our homework on the beach with plenty of sun left for tanning. (My SPF 70 has prevented even a tiny bit of tan though...)

We explored the Old Town of Alanya today and learned that historically, (during the Seljuk period, I believe) Alanya was a haven for piracy. Its location on a peninsula and innumerable craggy rocks and juts, make this swashbuckling fact believable. As someone very interested in the current day pirate renaissance, I found this factoid irresistible.

No comments: