Thursday, February 7, 2008

The University of Chicago in Winter

I'm taking pictures soon so that all of you not currently buried under mounds of snow and stranded by unploughed roads can get a better insight on the University of Chicago in the winter. It's cold, really really cold. I have been wearing my boots and my second favorite pair, galoshes from urban outfitters, a lot.

I'm posting to share what I've come to realize is one of the most idiosyncratic aspects of the University of Chicago. Students here sleep EVERYWHERE, and it's really weird. For example, I'm an early riser, I'm typically up and studying somewhere around 8 AM. Three times this week a student has arrived in my study space, found a comfortable spot to lay down, and immediately fallen into a deep sleep. I understand that school is a lot of work and we all feel stressed, but seriously, why come to sleep in the library? You could easily stay in bed at 8 AM... the best example of this strange behavior occurred Saturday afternoon when every person at the five tables in my study corner was fast asleep. Every single one.

First of all, it's unmotivating to be surrounded by literal dreamers. Secondly, it's creepy and weird. Seriously people, stop sleeping all over campus. Someday you may finish graduate school and find it a necessary life skill to stay awake all day long.

No comments: