Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Rainy Chicago

With temperatures expected to drop thirty degrees tonight, I am officially confused by Chicago's fickle weather. Pick a season, my fair city, and stick with it.

I am midway through second quarter, which means next week I will be half-way finished with my master's degree. If it seems like we just started, that's because we did. It goes fast... and so do I. In between papers, classes, reading, Smart Museum, sometimes fun things, I'm running around these days. Yesterday as I dashed into U.S. National Security Policy for a class discussion on the upside of nuclear weapons (good deterrence! Safer world with nukes!) I overheard the following. "Why is she always running everywhere?" I had to laugh because it's true. I'm a scurrier. I guess I always feel like I really should have been there sooner. I also had to laugh because UChicago is famous for its intense level of social awkwardness. Dare I say, I'm in the process of taking the most awkward campus by storm with my own special brand of speedy gonzales stress walking?

No matter how fast I sprint around these gothic hallways, I still only have four more months to finish six classes and an MA thesis. It is intense, but it's also good to keep things in perspective. Right now, my full-time job is to read books and write about what I think of them. That's a pretty sweet deal. Grad school's not so bad....

No comments: