I saw what must be one of the funniest live shows ever on Halloween. Anytime the entire crowd and the performers are in costume, hilarity is sure to ensue. The Hold Steady and Art Brut did not disappoint.
My favorite part of the night, was the ringing endorsement by Art Brut's frontman for the life of the stage. "Look at you!" He shouted. "Form a band! Look at how much fun we're having! We formed a band and so can you!" What a great message! Considering their songs consist of two lines exhorting people to either dance or view modern art, I think it's true. I could write those songs. But I don't think I could perform them with the same gusto.
The Hold Steady dressed up like cowboys and all wore fake mustaches. That's awesome. By the end of the set Craig Finn was windmilling around almost in tears, describing his love for Chicago. Really touching, but it may have been the Jameson talking. I finished the night with a Crunchwrap Supreme from none other than Taco Bell. Eating Taco Bell is really an experience in and of itself, it's sort of like discovering how many combinations of hybrid tex-mex one venue can support. Taco Bell on Halloween, however, after bar's close, was REALLY an experience. I may not be in a foreign country anymore but eating a taco wrapped in a tortilla surrounded by a double dare team, a six foot tall care bear, and various witches and ninjas was some sort of ethnographic experience for sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment