Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Disney on LSD

The PRATER -- Home of Vienna's famous ferris wheel, Wiener Reisenrad, the gigantic (and surprisingly slow moving) orb that provides the best views of Vienna. Emperor Joseph II, ever the modernizer, opened the park to the public in 1766; before then it had been the private hunting grounds of royalty. Today it offers hunting of a different sort, judging by the numerous prostitution rings near by. It's true, the Prater is a little shady, but with the right attitude, and an openness to psychedelic German carnival fare, it's a great way to spend an evening.


I had never visited an amusement park at night before. The Prater was a strange mix of swirling polytechnic colors, rides that had seen better days, and modern carnival rides so scary I thought for sure I would sustain an injury from even walking too near them. Like, for example, the ride that shot two passengers in a flimsy disc contraception approximately three miles into the air... no thanks. I stuck to the ghost train, the water shoot, and baby ride extraordinaire, the ferris wheel!

I was also impressed by the carnival food on sale. The Prater is home to the famous Schwiezer Haus, where specialties include giant turkey legs and Austrian beer. I had a Kartoffelpuffer (try pronouncing that, just try...) Or, deep fat fried potato wedge. mmmmm good...

This is my public health response to the Kartoffelpuffer.

No comments: