More than anything this summer, I have valued gaining the perspectives of people working in the field of international human rights. It's one thing to have an academic perspective on the implementation of human rights standards; actually seeing the messy work of organizational diplomacy and international advocacy reveals a more complex story. Plus, the staff of the IHF is truly inspirational in their devotion to their work and the mission of our organization. (And from my foray into the grants department, I know their loyalty stems not from financial gain.)
I had a really interesting meeting today with the head of the Media Freedoms section of the OSCE. We talked about the situation in Azerbaijan, which I am reporting on for IHF, but he also provided a theoretical overview of human rights implementation from the OSCE perspective. I think one of the main draws of this field for me is the link between the more academic theory of human rights and their (almost always) imperfect realization. Defining, designing, and demanding these "rights" everywhere for everyone never fails to be contentious, and I am fascinated by the close links between highbrow academic arguments and concrete legal action.
The OSCE differs from the UN or even the EU in its human rights enforcement mechanisms. That is, it doesn't really have any. All 56 member states are subject to review of their adherence to international standards, but sanctions don't go beyond statements, which can by vetoed on the no vote of one. This means that the "black sheep" or the state that doesn't live up to its commitments (or jails seven journalists on spurious defamation charges...Azerbaijan) is kept in the negotiating fold, as, to quote my interviewee, "the pariah at the table" so to speak.
I can see the value in this approach, but I fear that too much of a conciliatory attitude turns the pariahs into the invited guests, as in the case of the Human Rights Council, and the states living up to their commitments become little more than the wait staff, catering to the desires of those with greater numbers but weaker standards.
No comments:
Post a Comment