Friday, July 20, 2007

Not Free on Fridays -- History Museum of the City Vienna

This morning before work I visited the Viennese History Museum. For anyone using Let's Go! as their Viennese travel guide, note that the museum is not actually free on Friday, but rather on Sunday. However, the ticket gurus are fairly unobservant, as they let me in for the under-18 price of 3 euros.

Some interesting facts about Vienna:

The Stephansdom Cathedral boasts the second-tallest cathedral spire in the world!


The University of Vienna was founded in 1365, which is pretty incredible.


During the 1848 revolution, the minister of war was publicly executed on my birthday, October 6.

The Congress of Vienna, following Napoleon's brief occupancy of the city, lasted almost a year! I cannot imagine a political gathering for that long, but if you're re-designing the balance of power in Europe and devising the first peaceful, mutually agreed upon multipolar organization of states, it takes awhile. The Concert of Europe was eventually signed nine days before Napoleon's defeat. France was later incorporated as a member in 1818.

Fun facts for sure. I found it odd that the historical overview of Vienna was abruptly cut off at 1900. I would have been interested to see how the museum portrayed WWII. The last exhibit was on the Secession movement, with more of artist Gustav Klimt.


On an entirely unrelated note, I arrived home to a very distraught roommate last night and for good reason. Vienna is in the midst of a heat wave, which I actually rather enjoy as a devotee of sun tanning in every available moment. However, our apartment is not air conditioned and it seems the heaters are malfunctioning, meaning that they are turned on! It's really terrible. We did what any panicked twenty-somethings would do in such a situation and called his mother. She suggested putting cool rags on the heater, which I am hopeful will help! Until then, I'm just pretending that I live in a sauna.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about the heating problems. No central air in Austria?
Have you tried any of those sausages Vieanna is so famous for?
Too bad about the minister of war forgetting your birthday. Bet he won't do that again. Dad

Andrea said...

No air conditioning anywhere! Silly Europeans and their energy conservation... I love those sausages! Maybe I'll blog about that...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.