Monday, June 4, 2007

From Haarlem to The Hague

On Sunday, Brett and I took a quick trip through the Van Gogh museum and the Flowermarket and then headed to the train station. Oh wait, we also squeezed in another Dutch lunch of ham and egg pancakes with Hienneken. I loved my time in Amsterdam, but I was ready for a slower pace, and so while Brett headed back to begin a new course in Maastricht, I took the train to Haarlem, and then on to the Hague.

The best investment I made on this trip was to pay around 17 euro for a Dutch MuseumKaard. This golden ticket to cultural opportunities galore, entitled me to free admission to almost all of the museums I visited as many times as I wanted to go. (I visited the Van Gogh Museum three times, seriously, this card was perfect for me.) It allowed me to visit two more art Museums in Haarlem, which meant an even more in-depth experience of Dutch Golden Age art.

I took the train from Haarlem to The Hague. (Sidenote, I think the Hague might be the only city in the world to start with an article. I may be wrong, but I can think of no other cities or states for that matter that start with definite or indefinite articles...)

3 comments:

Gustavo Bonato said...

Van Gogh Museum was the ONLY art museum I truly enjoyed in my entire life.

Unknown said...

Lots of cities' names start with articles. "Den Haag" is "The Hague" in English. "La Paz" is "The Peace" in English. La Paz, Los Angeles, Le Havre, Las Vegas, Des Moines, etc. all start with articles.

Hope all is well. Wanted to pop in to say hi. Obviously I have little better to do than to research cities with names beginning with articles.

Andrea said...

You are so right! I just saw this! I hadn't considered those tricky non-English articles. Kristi also mentioned The Vatican or The Holy See as an article-enhanced city name.